Friday, November 14, 2008

extreme update

It's been such a LONG LONG time since i've a blog entry. hahaha..

as most of you would have know, i am current now studying in SMU and the workload there is "amazingly" heavy. I've countless assignments (which takes like.. hours) to do, presentations every week (which requires rehearsals and rehearsals and more rehearsals) and projects etc..

now it's coming to the end of sem 1 already and.. my results are rather mixed.. not very clear where exactly it will go.. i'm taking 5 modules now (technically 4 because 2 modules are 0.5 of a full unit). and only 3 are examinable!! but out of these 3, i have 2 maths paper~!! 1 is Intermediate Mathematics for Economics (trust me, it's nowhere near Intermediate) and the other is Introductory Statistics. hahaa.. let's just see.. i will be happy enough if i can get an above 3.0 (/4.0) average GPA..

Well, so far my life in SMU has been very enjoyable. Post orientation, i joined a few CCAs and tried a lot of things (which also probably explain why i am so busy!). i tried paintballing, laser tagging and during the mid term break, i went to Tioman for my Advance Diving Course dive trip! on regular weeks, i'm in training with SMU Track & Field (under long distance) and SMU Aquathlon team. of course, i am training with Sham still on wed and sat. life's hectic but it's fun because i like it this way!

as u all know, i had an episode of injury. It has something to do with my left leg. the cause of it is not sure yet. i went to a few consults. first was a physio who said it was hamstring problem. then i went to CGH where Dr Ben Tan told me it's muscle knots.. then he referred me to a senior physio who said it was related to nerve and not muscular.. so now, i have been follow the senior physio's instructions with regard to the stretches she asked me to do. she will try to find out the cause as things go. (ironically, her name is Sham, same as my coach!)

however, there is no doubt that this injury comes about due to overtraining. i pushed my body to the limit previously by training 5-6 times a week at high intensity. i didn't let my body rest and listen to it. so after refusing to listen peacefully to my body, the only way it could convey its message is to get injured.

Sham (the physio) said i should not stop my training. just continue with it normally. but Sham (my coach) said that i should take it slow for the remaining of this year while he build me up to my previous fitness. my fitness really deteroriate a lot after almost 2 months away from running. i remembered how i was in agony when i initially returned back to training and felt the significant drop in my form and speed. yet. there were friends around who were there to support and encourage me. with that, i would like to send a shoutout to all those who cheered me on during that period. you know who you are! thank you!!

the period, when i MIA due to injury, allowed me to rethink about my aims and objectives. instead of focusing on marathons and long distances, i want to focus on shorter distances such as 5k,10k for run races and sprint, OD tri races. This is in conjuction with my busy school schedule as it disallow me to go and clock the high mileage needed for longer distances. Focusing on shorter distances allow me to balance training and school better. Moreover, as i am still new to running and endurance, i felt that i should get back to basic and do the shorter courses first and progressively move up the chain eventually.

i've also learned that i need to rest more. only with adequate rest, will training be useful and beneficial to our body. so for now, i am just going to go with a 4-day training programme instead of the 6-day one.

exams is in 2 weeks time. Sham "ordered" me not to go for training next week onwards so as to focus on studying. well i guess, i am going to tone down trg for studies for these 2 weeks.

i realise.. the whole entry is about studies and training. haha! no life right!! ok la..

maybe i just want to talk about my best buddy, Zihao's love life. hahaha! (ok.. why am i talking about another guy's love life and not mine?)

i am glad for him that he is going out with Yueshan (my prospective sister in law).. hahaa.. very exciting to see how things will go.. jia you bro!! don't being frivolous.. focus u a**.

it's not ok to forfeit training for chicks at time! hahahaa! discipline!! don't forget discipline is what differentiates us from others! hahaa.. joking la.. don't worry.. treat it as an reward for running a sub3 30k =D

right.. so.. here's the updates.. i will be back again.. soon......... haha

No comments: